High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a widespread health issue that often goes unnoticed but can lead to severe health problems over time. It’s often called the “Silent Killer” because it quietly damages your organs. In this guide, we’ll explain what high blood pressure is, how to check it correctly, why it’s important to monitor, what causes it, the risks of leaving it untreated, and how weight loss can help.
Understanding High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, happens when the force of blood against your artery walls is too high. This constant pressure strains your heart, arteries, and vital organs.
How to Read Your Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure is measured using two numbers:
– Systolic Pressure (the top number): This represents the force in your arteries when your heart beats.
– Diastolic Pressure (the bottom number): This indicates the force when your heart rests between beats.
Are you Monitoring Your Blood Pressure Correctly?
To check your blood pressure correctly:
- Use a reliable blood pressure monitor.
- Sit quietly for at least 10 minutes before measuring.
- Place the cuff on your upper arm at heart level.
- Avoid smoking, caffeine, eating, and exercise for 30 minutes before.
- Take two or more readings, two minutes apart, and record the average.
Why Monitor Blood Pressure?
Monitoring is crucial as high blood pressure often shows no symptoms until complications arise. Regular checks help detect hypertension early and prevent associated risks.
What Causes High Blood Pressure?
Several factors can raise:
- Being overweight
- Unhealthy diets high in sodium
- Lack of physical activity
- Some medications
- Chronic stress
- Smoking and excessive alcohol
- Snoring and sleep apnea
- Family history
What are the complications of Untreated High Blood Pressure?
If left untreated, it can lead to:
- Heart Disease: It increases the risk of heart attacks and heart failure.
- Stroke: It damages blood vessels in the brain, causing strokes.
- Kidney Damage: It harms the kidneys, leading to kidney disease.
- Vision Problems: It can damage your eyes and affect your vision.
Can Weight Loss Help High Blood Pressure
Losing excess weight can significantly lower high blood pressure. Studies show that for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) lost, systolic blood pressure drops by about 1-2 mm Hg, and diastolic blood pressure decreases by about 1 mm Hg.
How Modest Medix Can Help High Blood Pressure ?
Modest Medix, a Medical Weight Management center in Ontario, can assist you in managing your blood pressure by helping you lose weight. They have a team of experts, including doctors, dietitians, and educators, who will support you on your weight loss journey. Your personalized weight loss plan is designed to target your blood pressure.
High blood pressure is a serious health condition that should not be ignored. Weight loss can make a significant difference. By taking a proactive approach and working with healthcare professionals, you can reduce the risks associated with increased blood pressure and enjoy better cardiovascular health. Don’t wait; take action now to protect your well-being.